What is a USI?
The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
Individuals with a USI will be able to easily access their training records online in a password protected secure environment. As well as helping students keep track of their training qualifications, the USI initiative will provide more precise data through longitudinal studies to help the Australian Government make sure that our Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector provides the skills businesses need – now and in the future. There are advantages for training organisations and industry too, as the USI will make our training system more efficient, streamlined and responsive.
Benefits for Australian industry and training organisations
- job applicants can quickly confirm their nationally recognised training qualifications
- training information easily can be shared between training providers and for Australian businesses
- smarter, evidence-based regulation to provide more transparency in the VET sector
- greater efficiency in interactions with government and regulators
- simplifying government VET programme eligibility and entitlement processing
- streamlined assessment of course prerequisites, credit transfers and assessment of eligibility for funding assistance.